Thursday, August 28, 2008

Luke 14:26 My Cross on My BACK not round My NECK!

Jesus asks those who come after him to take up their cross and follow him. Similar to Luke 9:23...which was one of the scripture memory verses that I was so familiar with.

Recently, in preparation for a sharing, I revisited this passage Luke 14:25-33 which talks about the cost of discipleship. It's nothing new..yet, as I pondered upon it, the Lord spoke!

"My Dear Child, when you came to me, when you accepted me as your Saviour so many years ago, I have given you not only my precious promises...but I have given you YOUR CROSS!"

"Where is it now? My dear?"

"My Cross? You gave me a cross?"

"Yes, everyone that comes to me and accepted me as Lord, I give them EACH a CROSS, specially made for EACH of them".

"O, ya, it's here."

"Ah, I see, I see that tiny, glittering thing that hangs around your neck"....

"That ornament you wear around your neck is of similar shape to the CROSS that I have given you. Ah, you have listened to me to CARRY IT EVERYDAY....you did that literally....

and you have SHRUNK the CROSS extensively....so that it looks beautiful and cute, small and light enough to carry around your neck. Hmm.....

I see you have diamonds on it too...."

"Yes, Lord, it's precious and so costly...I PAY a HIGH PRICE for this little thing"

"Ah, you BOUGHT this little thing? Why? I have given you a FREE one."

"WHERE is the ORIGINAL CROSS that I've given you?"

"Err...it's too heavylah...I kept it in my storeroom. It not only looks horrible, it's also very inconvenient to carry it around everyday to do my work. I get starred and laughed by others when they see my silly act in balancing this BIG CROSS on my back. I look like a FOOL!"

"My Dear child, I know how you must have felt...but I went through it. How do you feel been striped half-naked and hung on the cross, scorned by all men?"

"I have gone through all these humiliation and suffering even to death just to let you know that hey, I have overcome and I can help you! I have died on my CROSS the MY FATHER gave me."

"My Dear child, did you not memorise my word? ...if anyone comes after me and does not carry his own cross he cannot be my disciple? You memorised but you didn't live it up? What is the use?"

"This Cross that I have given you is a cross that is BIG enough to sustain your weight, for you to HANG yourself on it!"

"Huh! Lord, you want me to hang myself? You want me to die kah?"

"Yes, I want you to hang your OLDSELF on this CROSS that I gave you. I want you to DIE to yourself first. "

"DIE my OLDSELF....hmm..and then?"

"Only then, I can be your LORD".

"Is that all?"

"No, I promised you A NEWSELF TOO!"

That's why I say if anyone would come after me him must DENY HIMSELF, CARRY HIS CROSS and FOLLOW ME DAILY...Lu 9:23

"Now, let me ask you again, are you willing to take up the CROSS I gave you?"

"But it's so heavy, LORD!"

"No worries, my dear Child, my grace is sufficient for you, now go, take up your cross and come with me".

"Yes, Lord."

No comments: